Matt Cutts tells that Google can use something else in place of your page title tag if it does not meet its selection criteria.
The video posted recently by him reveals how Google comes up with a new title tag. Before we tell you more about what he says about your page title tags, let us first read the questions he has addressed this time:
• What criteria does Google use to change the title it shows in the SERPs depending on the query? Does schema influence that? Do headings (h1, h2...) have more weight?
• Why Google search results does not show the current Meta title of webpage? Instead of Meta title search results show H1 tag from HTML page?
The video opens with Matt Cutts saying that Google looks for titles that are a concise description of the page and match the user’s query. So, the only criterion Google has is to pick a good description of a page that is relatively short too. It results in a higher click through rate and thus proves better for the website as well as the users.
So, you have to follow 3 simple rules for improving your position in SERPs:
• Make your titles moderately short
• Come up with good description
• Write what is relevant to your page (while creating meta tags)
What Google can do when your title does not match a query
Instead of using your title tag, it can use content of a page, anchor text links or open directory project.
The relevance of Meta tags titles and a description is quite high when it comes to showing your site in search engine results. So, Ably Soft puts stress on creating sites that can meet search engine requirements too. Our website development experts take suggestions from SEO team while planning the information architecture of a site & make it SEO friendly.
So, we suggest you to never ignore SEO relevance or Google’s algorithm for that matter, if you want to own a result oriented platform. Always remember that wrongly built websites do not receive much traffic & thus fail eventually.
Consult Professionals , if you have any question regarding poor SEO results or low conversion rate as that could be one reason why your website is not performing well enough.